BioMar is a world leader in sustainable feed for more than 45 different fish and shrimp species in more than 80 countries. Founded in 1962 by a group of Danish fish farmers, BioMar’s heritage is a long-term commitment to developing the aquaculture industry in a responsible and sustainable way. Their global scale, local agility and execution focus ensures that they can meet individual customer needs – always with departure in proven results and a meticulous focus on food safety.
BioMar aimed to increase productivity through a new line of equipment, this presented a range of challenges including:
- The customer needed the adaptability to fill six bag types on the new line
- Abrasive product with oil contact meaning product had to be well contained at all times
- BioMar required food grade components
- A high throughput of 25-30 bags an hour
- Adaptable for weights of 500, 1000, 1050, 1250kg
BioMar’s factory at Grangemouth Scotland contacted Webster Griffin in search of a new bagging line to fill 500 to 1250kg bags of pelleted fish feed. Webster Griffin have supplied over 262 systems for filling all types of chemicals, plastics, minerals, fertiliser, feeds, food ingredients and sugar into big bags and super sacks.
- After several consultations with the customer, Webster Griffin supplied the following appropriate solution ideal for the industrial scale installation.
- One IBC‐PF4 Big Bag filler with weigh‐fill system including product dosing system, suitable for filling bags at a rate of up to 25‐30 bags/hr
- An electronic load cell weighing system to consistently weigh and fill fine free flowing products into big bags.
- Heavy duty welded box section support frame for easy cleaning
- Height adjustable carriage on which the filling spout and bag loop support arms are mounted.
- One bag inflation device to ensure that the inner liner and bag are fully open and ready to receive the product before the feed valve opens, including: ‐
- Inflatable spout to provide a dust tight seal during filling, SS 304L external clamping ring, and a removable angled chute to guide the flow of product into the centre of the bag.
- A heavy duty powered belt conveyor to accumulate 9 filled bags allowing for discharge and offloading in batches.
- An electronic weighing controller with net weight info interfaced with the customer’s plant control system.
- Printing of ‘passport’ tickets for bags.
The installation of the integrated system presented a number of key benefits to BioMar.
- BioMar are delighted with the performance of 1 & 4 loop Bulk Bags being packed at 25 - 30 bags/ hr, and weight accuracy of under +/- 1kg of each Big Bag filled.
- Printing of ‘passport’ tickets for bags means they have enhanced ‘tracability’ of their product.
- Flexibility – the system catering to various different bag shapes and sizes means BioMar can respond to customer demands immediately.
- Reduced ‘product giveaway’ means customers aren’t left shortchanged and Biomar do not giveaway free Fish Feed and in turn lose capital.